Translating to Vernacular!



I am being reminded that blogs should be updated regularly. One of my shortcomings. There a lot in my minds that has to be shared. Even if this will entail that nobody might be on the receiving end. Facebook has eaten my time and it has been my platform for sometime. However, this spot must not be compromise.

One of the things I admire in Vietnam since our seminar on Summer Catechetical Institute for Priest hosted by Catholic Bishop Conference of the Philippines, Episcopal Commission for Catechetics and Catholic Education last April 20-24 is they translated the whole of the Divine Office in the Vietnamese Language. yes, we have translated a part of the Morning prayer, Noon prayer, Evening Prayer and Night prayer for a week in our native tongue but not the whole Divine Office.

There is much to be done in Philippine situation. What can I do. I can pray that those who have expertise may be able to do something about it or hoping that there will be bishops who can see the need for it commission it for those who can. if the Vietnam catholic can do it, We can also do it,   

It is also legit to ask the reason for such an endeavor. I believe that we would like to penetrate to the masses, we also need to do it in our and in their native tongue. Secondly, though it might take a bulk of pages than English but it will be better be understood even of those who cannot understand English and lastly it is on the spirit of the second Vatican Council's inculturation.


Comments